- University of Florida, B.S.B.A., 1969
- University of Pennsylvania J.D.
- 1974, Pennsylvania
- 1975, U.S. District Court, District of Delaware
- 1977, Delaware
- Delaware State Bar Association
- Founder of the Hockessin (Delaware) Soccer Club Instructional League
- Former President, Coach, and referee of Hockessin Soccer Club and coach of Kirkwood Soccer Club
- A.I. duPont High School Boys Soccer Announcer
- Former Treasurer of several civic associations
- Former Advisory Board Member – Hockessin Police Athletic League
- Former Member – White Clay Bicycle Club
- Business Disputes
- Consumer Law
- Construction Law
- Property Disputes
- Repossession: We are responsible for the overwhelming majority of Delaware decisions interpreting the rights and obligations of repossessing creditors and consumers under Article 9 of the UCC. This includes the 1980 seminal Supreme Court decision of Wilmington Trust Company v. Conner (issue of notice) and the 2009 Supreme Court decision of Hicklin v. Onyx Acceptance (what constitutes a commercially reasonable sale).Construction. 2007 decision imposing mechanics lien and $45,000 of attorneys fees for bad faith litigation by landowner. 2006 decision in favor of homeowner against contractor for complete refund and punitive damages for fraud.
- Consumer: 1975 Holding that finance companies could not attach wages in Delaware, although banks could (legislature later enacted new law). 1980 Supreme Court decision holding that where repossessing creditor gave improper notice, creditor was barred from collecting any deficiency and consumer was entitled to statutory damages. 1986 Supreme Court opinion that repossessing creditor’s notice had to be written. 2009 Supreme Court decision setting forth standards for “commercially reasonable” sale of repossessed collateral. 2006 defense of mortgage foreclosure. [search Westlaw or Lexis for numerous other decisions]
- Nuisance/Easement: 2008 Chancery decision as to components of nuisance by adjoining landowners. 2005 Chancery decision of right of industrial landowner to use easement.
- Constitutional Law: Garageman lien statute declared unconstitutional (legislature later enacted new law correcting defects). Procedure of state in entering child support orders without due process declared unconstitutional. 1980 challenge to constitutionality of portion of landlord tenant code (settled).
- Escheat: We were co-counsel in the 2009 Supreme Court en banc decision of AW Financial v. Empire (claim against corporation for wrongfully surrender of stock). Douglas Shachtman obtained his Juris Doctoris from the University of Pennsylvania Law School in 1974. He began practicing in Delaware that year. He is admitted to the Delaware Supreme Court, the Third Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States District Court. As needed, he has been admitted on a case-by-case basis. He is BV rated by Martindale Hubbell, bestowed on attorneys who are both ethical and have a superior reputation among attorneys in Delaware.
981 A.2d 1114 (Del.Supr. 2009) A.W. Financial Services, S.A. v. Empire Resources, Inc.; 970 A.2d 244(Del.Supr. 2009) Hicklin v. Onyx Acceptance Corp.; 702 A.2d 1225 (Del.Supr. 1997) Friendly Finance Corp. v. Bovee; 563 A.2d 1063 (Del.Super. 1989) GRD Properties, Inc. v. Markane, Inc.; 526 A.2d 1353 (Del.Supr. 1987) Division of Child Support Enforcement v. Smallwood; 518 A.2d 82 (Del.Supr. 1986) Stoppi v. Wilmington Trust Co.; 450 A.2d 392 (Del.Supr. 1982) Petty v. University of Delaware; 415 A.2d 773 (Del.Supr. 1980) Wilmington Trust Co. v. Conner; 405 A.2d 701 (Del.Super. 1979) Wilmington Trust Co. v. Malcom; 387 A.2d 198 (Del.Super. 1978) Household Finance Corp. v. Hobbs; 385 A.2d 689 (Del.Supr. 1978) Wileman v. Signal Finance Corp.; 346 A.2d 177 (Del.Super. 1975) Household Finance Corp. v. Johnson; 2009 WL 2031704 Del.Super. Freibott v. Miller; 2009 WL 2007153 Del.Super. Krapf Homes, LLC v. Sykes; 2008 WL 4561144 Del.Ch. Laumbach v. Westgate; 2008 WL 3846419 Del.Ch. Laumbach v. Westgate; 2008 WL 4409433 Del.Super. Wilmington Sav. Fund Soc. v. Francis; 2007 WL 1705632 Del.Super. Ciappa Const., Inc. v. Innovative Property Resources, LLC; 2007 WL 1493792 Del.Com.Pl. Marcano v. Dendy; 2007 WL 1176225 Del.Com.Pl. Obenchain v. Ionsep Corp. Inc.; 2007 WL 914640 Del.Super. Ciappa Const., Inc. v. Innovative Property Resources, LLC; 2006 WL 4128770 Del.Com.Pl. Goodyear v. J.T. Hickman Co., Inc.; 2006 WL 4129068 Del.Com.Pl. Goodyear v. Hickman; 2006 WL 4128772 Del.Com.Pl. Diamond Restoration, Inc. v. Kreske; 2006 WL 2979372 Del.Super. Ciappa Const., Inc. v. Innovative Property Resources, LLC; 2006 WL 2615154 Del.Com.Pl. Diamond Restoration, Inc. v. Kreske; 2006 WL 2194738 Del.Super. Mitchell v. Church; 2006 WL 258302 Del.Super. Caudill v. Sinex Pools, Inc.; 2005 WL 3073670 Del.Super. Sheer Beauty, Inc. v. Mediderm Pharmaceuticals & Laboratories; 2005 WL 1413305 Del.Ch. Beckrich Holdings, LLC v. Bishop; 2005 WL 5756847 Del.Ch. Beckrich Holdings, LLC v. Bishop; 2004 WL 3030016 Del.Super. Landis v. Brandywine Medical Management; 2004 WL 51260 Del.Ch. Real Estate of Shockley v. Foraker; 2002 WL 31260990 Del.Ch. Steele v. Ratledge; 2002 WL 31999369 Del.Com.Pl. Stickney v. Goldstein; 2002 WL 31999239 Del.Com.Pl. Stickney v. Goldstein; 2002 WL 31999358 Del.Com.Pl. Stickney v. Goldstein; 2000 WL 303147 Del.Super. Nardi v. Lewis; 1999 WL 33255923 Del.Com.Pl. Marlin A. ENNIS v. Wilmington Trust Company; 1999 WL 1568347 Del.Super. Nardi v. Lewis; 1998 WL 996471 Del.Super. Stigars v. Mellon Bank; 1998 WL 117979 Del.Super. Stigars v. Mellon Bank; 1997 WL 528051 Del.Super. Connecticut General Life Ins. v. Wannberg, In re; 1997 WL 127978 Del.Super. Friendly Finance Corp. v. Bovee; 1996 WL 1581136 Del.Com.Pl. Precision Service Corp. v. Key Petroleum Co., Ltd. and THOMPSON; 1996 WL 944911 Del.Super. Connecticut General Life Ins. Co. v. Wannberg; 1995 WL 1790686 Del.Ch. Nichols v. Mack Trucks, Inc.; 1994 WL 1547767 Del.Com.Pl. THAYER v. Wise Motors; 1994 WL 1547763 Del.Com.Pl. THAYER v. WISE Motors, Inc. and Charles G. WISE; 1993 WL 331154 Del.Super. Loyola Federal Sav. & Loan v. Hopson; 1993 WL 1303181 Del.Com.Pl. Loyola Federal Savings & Loan Appellant v. HOPSON, Appellees; 1993 WL 331062 Del.Super. Seiben, Inc. v. Eurosearch, Inc.; 1992 WL 1182147 Del.Com.Pl. Loyola Federal Savings & Loan, v. HOPSON, Defendants; 1992 WL 52356 Del.Super. Zandman v. Sears, Roebuck & Co.; 1991 WL 244235 Del.Ch. Morris v. Thayer; 1990 WL 251559 Del.Super. Nichols v. Chester Mack Sales & Service, Inc.; 1990 WL 964522 Del.Com.Pl. CROPPER, Jr., v. Peninsula Bank and Cavanaugh Motors, Inc.; 1989 WL 147361 Del.Super. Taylor v. Mellon Bank (DE), N.A.; 1989 WL 133619 Del.Ch. Waserstein and Kreshtool v. Wier; 1989 WL 112045 Del.Super. Kryworcki v. Durrell; 1989 WL 64147 Del.Super. Matt Slap Subaru v. Podolecki; 1989 WL 64117 Del.Super. Bolton v. Petrucelli; 1989 WL 40936 Del.Super. Czupryna v. Concord Volkswagen, Inc.; 1988 WL 765408 Del.Com.Pl. Carolyn TODD v. PNC National Bank; 1988 WL 47302 Del.Super. Cahill v. Reene Berk Associates; 1987 WL 8274 Del.Super. Ayers v. Mellon Bank (DE); 1986 WL 15560 Del.Super. Wilmington Trust Co. v. Addessi; 1986 WL 3636 Del.Super. Stoppi v. Larry’s Homes, Inc.; 1986 WL 2269 Del.Super. Pilli v. William H. Porter, Inc.; 1984 WL 547144 Del.Super. Smallwood v. Bureau of Child Support Enforcement; 1984 WL 547145 Del.Super. Smallwood v. Bureau of Child Support Enforcement; 1984 WL 402530 Del.Com.Pl. Ernest H. KEATTS v. Bank of Delaware; 1984 WL 403524 Del.Com.Pl. Farmers Bank of the State of Delaware v. HUDGHTON; 1983 WL 320105 Del.Com.Pl. Farmers Bank of the State of Delaware v. HUDGHTON; 1983 WL 320104 Del.Com.Pl. Farmers Bank of the State of Delaware v. HUDGHTON; 1982 WL 318013 Del.Com.Pl. Farmers Bank v. HUDGHTON & STURGILL; 1982 WL 318010 Del.Com.Pl. Farmers Bank of the State of Delaware v. JONES; 1975 WL 7109 Del.Ch. Wahl v. Worthmore Furniture Co., Inc.;